The Governing Board of the South Central Ohio Educational Service Center met for its annual organizational meeting, followed by its regular board meeting on Jan. 24, 2018. During the organizational meeting, the board administered the oath of office to its newest elected member Trampas Puckett.
Puckett is a graduate of Portsmouth West High School, class of 1993. After graduation, he became a foreman for Steeltree Construction at the age of 19. A few years later, he joined The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, (UBC) with Carpenters Local 437 working in the commercial construction industry. In 2009, Puckett was employed as a Business Representative for the Indiana Kentucky Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters, (IKORCC) a position he still holds. Since 2013, Puckett has also been a part time instructor at the UBC International Training Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, teaching leadership and communication skills to journeymen. He also serves on the Scioto County Community Action Organization Board and resides as president. Puckett is a member of the WIOA Board covering Scioto, Adams, Brown, and Pike counties. He is married to Jody Puckett and they have three daughters Alexandra, Caitlyn, and Macy Puckett.
Among the actions taken by the board during its organizational meeting:
• Administered the Oath of Office to elected and appointed members,
• Elected Dr. Paul Crabtree president of the ESC Governing Board,
• Elected Michael Canter vice-president of the ESC Governing Board,
• Approved a resolution to set the regular meeting dates for 2018 on the second Thursday of each month at 1 p.m., at the South Central Ohio ESC Business Center, 3879 Rhodes Ave., in New Boston, Ohio,
• Approved a resolution to set the board member compensation and mileage rate,
• Appointed board committees for 2018,
• Approved a resolution to authorize use of a consent agenda, where applicable, in 2018,
• Approved a resolution to renew professional memberships,
• Approved a resolution to delegate authority to the treasurer for 2018,
• Approved a resolution to delegate authority to the superintendent for 2018; and,
• Approved a resolution to establish a mileage reimbursement rate for 2018.
Upon closing its organizational meeting, the board began its regular meeting. Among the actions taken by the board during its regular meeting:
• Approved the agenda,
• Approved the minutes of the regular meeting on Dec. 14, 2017,
• Took reports from the treasurer, superintendent, and board committees,
• Approved a resolution to authorize advance and/or transfer of funds in the amount of 2,737.13,
• Adopted evaluation instruments for the position of FCFC Coordinator,
• Approved a resolution to employ substitute teachers, including John Craig, Lynda Jones, Marissa McCormick, and Traci Warnock; and substitute teacher aides Vickie Hall, Jennifer Stamper, and Yolanda Villeda-Quirasco,
• Accepted the resignation of Nathan Webb, assistant treasurer, effective Dec. 31, 2017,
• Entered executive session for the purpose of conducting an evaluation of the superintendent/treasurer and discussing employment/compensation of a public employee,
• Approved a resolution to re-enter public session,
• Approved a resolution to renew contract of ESC Superintendent Sandy Mers for a term beginning Aug. 1, 2018, and ending July 31, 2021; and,
• Approved a resolution to employ personnel, including Laura Slusher (aide PA), and Deana Payton (school psychologist).
The South Central Ohio ESC Governing Board meets regularly on the second Thursday of each month at the ESC office in New Boston. For more information about the ESC, visit online at www.scoesc.org, or follow on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.